The present-day Panjab University traces its roots to the University of the Punjab established on 14 October 1882 at Lahore (now in Punjab, Pakistan). Most of the colleges affiliated to University of the Punjab were in the present Indian part of British India.
After the partition of India in 1947, the university was split into two for Pakistani Punjab. A new university was then established/relocated in the Punjab, India in 1947. To distinguish the two, the name of the university on the Indian side, the spelling for 'Punjab' was changed to Panjab. After 1947 the university had no campus of its own for nearly a decade. The administrative office was in Solan and the teaching departments functioned from Hoshiarpur, Jalandhar, Delhi, and Amritsar.
In 1956 the university was relocated to Chandigarh, on a red sandstone campus designed by Pierre Jeanneret under the guidance of the legendary Le Corbusier. Until the re-organisation of Punjab in 1966, the university had its regional centres at Rohtak, Shimla, Jalandhar and its affiliated colleges were in the states of Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and U.T. of Chandigarh. With the re-organisation of Punjab, the university became an Inter-State Body Corporate catering to the newly organised state of Punjab and union-territory of Chandigarh.
In 1704 A.D The Tenth Sikh Guru Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji left the Fortess of Chamkaur Sahib and reached Village Chuharpur. At that time it was a large forest and there a saint lived under a tree. He was so anxious to see Sri Guru Gobind Singh and His anxiety was fulfilled when Guru ji reached there to rest. .Read More